The village of Pittsford was platted in 1855. In those days communities followed the railroad in order to be established in a favorable location. The village of Keene, approximately two miles north of the current village, was literally uprooted. Buildings were torn down and reassembled to make way for the railroad between Toledo, Ohio and Elkhart, Indiana.
In the 1874 Hillsdale County Directory, it was stated that Pittsford “is situated in a good grain and fruit country.” The Directory went on to say that the “principal manufacture is brick.”
S.W. Lyons, a Pittsford druggist, getting "the cart before the horse" during a Fourth of July parade in the early 1900s.
Waiting at the Pittsford station for the excursion train to Baw Beese Lake around the turn of the century.
Mark Hinkley's Cheese Factory at Henvy's Corners, Pittsford Road at Bacon, in 1910.
A sash and door company in Pittsford.
Carol A. Lackey