"The Osseo Village Company" was formed by a few citizens of Jonesville in an effort to keep the County seat from being transferred to the city of Hillsdale. The village plat of Osseo was recorded in 1840; sites for county buildings were selected and preparations made to build. When it was discovered that it was all a ruse on the part of the Jonesville folks, the Osseo residents sided with Hillsdale in establishing the County seat there.
Saw mills were in abundance in the early days, since most of the undeveloped land was covered with old growth trees, ripe for sawing and shipping from the nearly railroad. The Sloan Saw Mill was on W. Beecher Street, while the Sherm Cox Mill was just off the east side of Lake Pleasant Road in South Jefferson Twp,
Carol A. Lackey