The Munro Home
The Munro House Bed and Breakfast has been a fixture in Jonesville for so many years that its hard to think of as a single family home. It was built in 1840 by George C. Munro, the first brick house in southern Michigan and a signal that civilization had come to Hillsdale County. George had 12 girls and two boys with two wives … one at a time, of course … who were sisters The amount of space available in his home must have felt inadequate as the years went by. However, each time he felt crowded he built onto the back of the house. Eventually it contained over twenty rooms as well as a large attic.
George was one of the wealthiest men in the county, owning a grist mill and general store in Jonesville. He wasn't one to hide his wealth. He lavishly entertained prominent people from everywhere, including (minor) royalty from Europe. He had black footmen dressed in red uniforms, an affectation that makes us cringe today. His magnificent carriage was more politically correct.
JoAnne P. Miller