Named after the town of the same name in Oneida County, New York,the town was originally called Camden Center and was located on the St. Joseph River at the northern edge of the present village. Previous to 1835 this part of the country was a wilderness, covered by a dense growth of trees. Roads were nonexistent. About 1870 the village moved south to the current location.
Carol A. Lackey