One of Hillsdale’s earliest and finest brick blocks, the Sutton Block, was built by early developer Robert Blain Sutton. It was torn down in 1939 and prplaced by the Hillsdale Variety and Kroger, which later became the Sears store. What began as a small Marble Works business on Bacon Street behind the Sutton Block eventually grew into the Hillsdale Manufacturing Company, maker of pants for boys. The building sat beside the Galloway Law Office, which was later moved. R.B. Sutton was the father-in-law of Rev. Edgar Galloway, grandfather of attorney Hames Galloway and great-grandfather of attorney Ed. Galloway. Due to insect infestation the Galloway hoe and Episcopalian manse properties were sold to the Hillsdale State Savings Band, torn down and replaced with that Bank office.
Carol A. Lackey