The Reading Roller Mills, located on S. Ann Street, c. 1909, was east of the railroad. Note the corn crib on the left. The Corn sheller operated in the basement, the flour rolled on the first floor and the buckwheat was shucked on the second floor.
The brick Block on the south side of Michigan, near Main Street, was built in 1854 and later burned. This was in the area of today's post office.
In A History of Reading, Village and Township: 1836-1911, the village of Reading is described as "one of the prettiest towns on the map."
The W.W. Weaver Tannery, Bill's Sunoco and Auto Repair and the International Harvester farm implement dealership on the north side of Michigan Street are all gone.
Carol A. Lackey