The 1879 History of Hillsdale County describes Prattville as "a village of modern growth." Originally only a schoolhouse stood at the four corners. In February 1866 Wellington and Henry Pratt came from Massachusetts and moved a small building across from the school to use as a store. Within the next four years came a sawmill and a gristmill. The Prattville School was built in 1872, a church in 1874 and the population swelled to 100.
The Hill Brothers Brick and Tile Mill was located southwest of Prattville. Nearby Lime Lake was the site of baptisms during the summer and provided ice during the winter.
The first post office in the Prattville area was established in 1848 and was known as "Cass." It was moved into the village around 1867 and its name finally changed to Prattville in 1872.
Carol A. Lackey