Some of the Lost Buildings of Hillsdale College
For over 90 years the V Store at 32 East College St. was a college institution, serving as a snack bar and grocery store. It was later converted into office space for the college,then eventually torn down for a parking lot.
The Beta Alpha Delta fraternity house had been built by Prof. Hiram Collier in the 1870s. He sold it to college president Dr. DeWitt Durgin, who lived in the home from 1875 to 1885. The house was torn down in 1935 to build Broadlawn.
The Kappa Sigma Kappa house had the distinction of being the first fraternity house with a television set. What later became the Tau Kappa Epsilon house was also noted for having Jackson "Jackie" Vaughn, past President Pro Tem of the Michigan Senate, as one of its original members.
The Delta Tau Delta fraternity house on the southeast corner of Hillsdale and College streets, which was torn down for a dormitory, was built as a residence by Civil War Veteran and Sultana survivor Moses Hershey. Hershey is one of many Civil War Veterans buried in Oak Grove Cemetery nearby.
Built after the fire of 1874, Knowlton Hall was once home to the literary societies and adorned with frescoed walls and chandeliers. The hall was razed in 1999 in order "to contribute to a more pleasant atmosphere at Hillsdale College."
When the Dickerson Gymnasium was built in 1885 at a cost of $2,254 plus $196.33 for equipment, it was said to be the first gymnasium in Michigan. Men and women were required to use the gym at separate times.
Carol A. Lackey