Stock's Mill also had a successful operation in Litchfield from 1881 until 1937, when it was purchased by the Dairy Association.
The former Lovell Blacksmith Shop was rented in 1912 by Bob Simpson and Ray Drake to start a garage. This was the predecessor to Simpson Industries in Litchfield.
What became the world's largest manufacturer of playground equipment began in Litchfield in 1929 by local entrepreneur Bob Simpson. In 1942 it was sold to Gordon Packer, who also made bomb parts during WW II. In 1954 the business was repurchased by Simpson, who brought in Bob Wormser in 1960. The business then experienced phenomenal growth and was sold to the Toro Company in 1973. Unfortunately, the business was then moved to Alabama.
Carol A. Lackey