In 1831-1832 acting Gov. Mason approved legislation permitting authorities of each town or village in Michigan to prohibit emigrants or travelers from entering their territory and gave them the authority to call out local militia for that purpose. When Ypsilanti learned of a cholera outbreak in Detroit in 1932, their militia was called out and stationed at a tavern on the "Chicago Turnpike." In one incident a stagecoach traveling west—with mail and passengers aboard—was fired on and a horse wounded. A few days later the acting governor himself attempted to head west through Ypsilanti and was arrested. This incident ended that particular roadblock to the west.
The first "Town Meeting" in Adams Township was held on April 4, 1836, on a log at approximately the corner of Mauck and Osseo Roads.
Hillsdale's first "post office" was a set of pigeon holes set up in the home of John P. Cook, which was located in the area of the Fairgrounds. Mr. Cook was appointed Hillsdale's first postmaster in 1839 by President Martin Van Buren.
By an act of the Senate and House of Representatives of the State of Michigan, approved March 28, 1850, the Township of Amboy was formed from Bird and Woodbridge Townships.
The original "Court" building on the City's Courthouse Square was so small that there was no room to hold court. Hearing were held in the Presbyterian Church, at that time located where St. Anthony's Catholic Church now stands.
In 1887 the Hillsdale City Council of Hillsdale ordered six electric lights to be placed within the city. The newspaper predicted that " The time is not far distant when the entire city will be lighted by the electric lights.
The first Hillsdale County Fair was held in 1851 on the Courthouse Square. Some of the displays were in the "new" Court building, which later became known as "The Old Stone Pile." It was replaced by our current Courthouse in 1899.
In 1866 proposals were taken for the delivery of mail in the county, with routes posted in the local paper.
In 1879 Hillsdale City Aldermen designated Kinyon and Osbourn's Livery Bard as the voting place for the First Ward.
In 1901 an ex-Registrar of Deeds in Hillsdale County was arrested for "a most remarkable Career in Crookedness."
In his 1915 Inaugural address to the Hillsdale City Council, Mayor L.A. Goodrich strongly favored the planting of "municipal gardens for the growing of potatoes, beans, and anything else feasible to raise enough money for the city to pay for feeding the trams that visit the city in the winter time."
Carol A. Lackey