In 1880 the Hillsdale Standard, under "Local News," bemoaned the fact that "the streets of this city were so crowded with teams last Saturday that it was almost impossible to find hitching places."

In 1879 the Hillsdale City Council voted to move Broad Street by curving it to the west in order to "enable the county agricultural society to purchase the land left on the east of the new line, thereby adding about ten acres to the grounds of the society."

The painting of artful frescoes was the order of the day in the late 1800s.  The Keefer and Smith Hotels, as well as the Henry Waldron home (the current Elks Club), Underwood Opera House, and Presbyterian Church were among those adorned.  Sadly, no known remnants exist today.

Carol A. Lackey