Originally known as South Wright, the village was reportedly to be named after Henry Waldron if he would agree to donate the schoolhouse bell.
Wright Township was late being developed as during its early years much of the land was under the control of speculators. The township name was changed from Canaan to Wright by act of the legislation on February 24, 1844.
Around the turn of the Century, it was the fashion for each community to have its own band. Reading had the Imperial Girls Band, Hillsdale had a City Band, North Adams had a Cornet Band, as did Montgomery. At right is the Waldron Citizens Band. At left, note the band shell in the middle of the street.
Carol A. Lackey