Cambria Mills was founded by John McDermid in 1865 when he built a sawmill in what was a vast forest of lakes and hilly ground. His brother, Andrew Jackson McDermid, soon followed, building a grist-mill. Cambria Mills was platted in 1878, but never incorporated. During its heyday the village boasted many shops and stores, a hotel (upper left), planing-mill and a large brick school (upper right).
Carol A. Lackey